Also known as a UK marriage visa, a spouse visa allows married partners of UK citizens to immigrate to the UK because they are married to someone who is 'settled in the UK' - i.e. a person who is ordinarily resident in the UK and has no immigration restrictions on how long they can stay in the UK.
To qualify for a UK spouse / marriage visa you must satisfy the certain requirements.
Spouse visa requirements
To qualify for a UK spouse / marriage visa you must satisfy the following requirements:
• You and your spouse must be 18 years old or over.
• You must have met each other and be legally married - this is to prevent arranged marriages.
• You must intend to live together permanently.
• You must have enough money to support yourselves (and any dependents) without claiming public funds.
• Your sponsoring partner must earn more than £18,600 per year or have enough savings to be able to sponsor you. The minimum financial requirement is higher if they are also sponsoring dependant children.
• You must have suitable accommodation for you, your spouse and any dependants.
• You must satisfy the English language requirements.